Boarding pass? Check.
Party hat? Check.
Are you ready for a cross-continent celebration with the PNW Crafting Crew? Well, you better get on board, fasten your seat belts, and enjoy the ride because it’s Ms. Amy Tsuruta’s birthday 5.0, and I am your host for this very special trip!
Now before we get started, I must give credit where it’s due, and this birthday celebration was inspired in part by Bev of Happy Dance. When I saw her post back in February, the gears started turning and this trip is the result! Check out her post here. Thanks for the inspiration, Bev!
Now if you miss your flight or get lost along the way, return here to hop back on board.
Here is the itinerary:
Kate: You are here!
Amy, you’ll be flying with me to NYC first!
So if you are familiar with Amy, you know she likes coffee. Just a tad. You may also know that she frequents NYC to visit her son. So that was the inspiration for our destination, and my card and accompanying journal cards!
Paper Smooches Super2 dies are cut from an Anthropologie bag and layered in the Savvy Stamps cup. I love this cup!!
The cupcakes and #HBD sentiment are from Kal Barteski’s Happy Something Studio Calico set. All were stamped on vellum and heat embossed, then fussy cut. I love Kal’s work and her urban style fit my design perfectly.
In keeping with the urban aesthetic, I worked in a Tim Holtz brick embossing folder, and the checker cab and black/white sentiment papers from Basic Grey’s Urban Luxe line.
I love how the rising and setting sun looks in New York, especially in the summer, as it slants between buildings and bounces from their metallic and glass facades. So that was the inspiration for my sun wheel, cut from hand-colored glossy paper using pink, orange, and yellow alcohol inks.
The splatter paper layer is from The Lilypad’s digital collection and the other multicolored paper is upcycled from an Anthro bag as well. Love how they worked together and with the Urban Luxe collection!
What trip would be complete without a journal to record the best moments? Using digital journal cards and digital stamps from In a Creative Bubble and Kellie Stamps, as well as The Lilypad, and other embellishments, I made my own 3×4 cards.
I love how the Kelli Stamps coffee sentiments work so well with In A Creative Bubble’s NYC set!
And finally, here is the package all wrapped up with a fun tag using Paper Smooches numbers. The #HBD was repeat stamped with Hero Arts Black Ombre ink.
To say August in NYC can be hot and sticky is an understatement–I was there melting onto the streets right before the massive power outage in 2003, but we’re going to brave the heat and stop at some of my favorite coffeeshops because after a red-eye to LaGuardia, we’re going to need some coffee!
- First stop, Sweetleaf in Long Island City, just a hop skip from LaGuardia. Love this coffeeshop with a wide selection of amazing baked goods, fabulous decor, and a record room!
- Next, we will stretch our legs and walk to Greenpoint to check out the shops and grab more coffee at Cafe Grumpy!
- Then it’s off to Williamsburg, where we can take in the views at the East River Park, then grab lunch at Radegast Hall and Biergarten, and maybe find something sparkly to commemorate your 50th at Catbird.
- And before we hit the bridge, we’ll grab one more coffee at Blue Bottle on Berry St.
- Then it’s off to Manhattan via the Williamsburg bridge to shop in Soho, with a stop at Harney and Son’s on Broome St. for an afternoon tea.
- Tired yet? Does a cupcake sound good? Dessert before dinner is always a good idea, especially if it’s your birthday, and there are plenty of places to choose from– Georgetown, Molly’s, Magnolia? Or do you have a favorite, Amy?
- Before we head to the Ace for a good night’s sleep, we’ll need to eat some dinner and maybe watch the sunset from the High Line! I’m leaving dinner up to you, Amy! What’s your favorite spot in the city? Tomorrow, we’ll hit some museums and landmarks, and then you are off to the beach with Tonya! Head there now for a peek at the tropical wonder that awaits you!
I only wish I could really take you on this trip, Amy, but I hope you’ve enjoyed the virtual version and the memories it may have brought back of your other times in NYC.
Wishing you only the best in your new decade!!
Thanks for traveling with me today– head to Tonya‘s site now and don’t forget to stop by Amy’s to wish her a happy day!!
More upcycled skylines for ya: