Happy Friday, everyone! We are one week into spring and look what just hatched!
Isn’t he just adorable? This little chick from Deep Red Stamps has been dying to break through (along with about a million other stamps and ideas!) for months now! I absolutely love the rich, vintage images of Deep Red Stamps, and featured a few of them in recent posts here. The rest are awaiting their big break!
So, a couple weeks ago, I stamped this little guy onto a variety of papers and played with coloring techniques from Copics, to Distress inking, and watercoloring with pencils and Gelatos.
Of all the techniques, I really liked the combination of pencils and gelatos for a more realistic look.
In the image above, I used Staedtler Watercolor pencils in two yellows for his body, and two orange Gelatos for his feet and beak. The pencils are perfect for this particular image, as I can get some texture from the dry application and more intensity and smooth blending when using with water. For his feet and beak, though, I preferred the orange intensity, coverage, and creaminess of the Gelatos, which are fairly new to me
Since I was using watercoloring, he was stamped in Versafine black oil-based ink.
He could use a little more blending, but I was not using watercolor paper or heavy stock, and this was a trial run on the Neenah Solar White 80lb scrap I was using, so I did could not overly saturate or color as the paper would bleed and pill.
My new PTI set Monthly Moments: March just arrived this week, and I immediately knew I wanted to use that Spring bubble with the chick.
I finished off the edge with Crate Paper DIY Shoppe adhesive paper and the back with some washi.
And ta-da, a very simple one-layer card. He’s headed over to and CAS-ual Friday’s Good Egg since he’s so clean and simple and such a good egg!! 🙂
THE NEXT VERSION
Now this one was designed with a few purposes in mind, one of which being Maria of Riesling Mama, who just had a birthday! I was very much thinking of her aesthetic and personality when approaching both of these cards.
She used a technique for one of her cards where she took Distress Ink, rubbed it on an acrylic block, spritzed and applied to cardstock. No stamp involved! You can check her post out here.
Here’s her super cool card featuring the technique.
As you can see, my chick is a bit more grunge here!
TECHNIQUE: To achieve the large splatter, I inked my acrylic with Mustard Seed Distress, spritzed with water, and then stamped off 3 times to move the ink around. I didn’t want it to be solid, as in Maria’s application. Afterward, I picked up some of the ink and flicked with my brush.
CLUSTERING & LAYERING
I love digging through my embellishments box and scrap baggies, which after this creation I got to re-organizing. It is utterly amazing how many left-overs this art form generates!! I have a pretty good system of storage and categorizing if I keep up on it, but with every card, I seem to have oodles more material than I did beforehand (which is not mathematically possible!!).
So I made use of a little lost leaf, an alcohol-inked glossy arrow, and the back of a deconstructed card which I die cut with Lawn Fawn’s Stitched Notes. Upcycled and recycled!
New elements include the die cut Savvy sprig, Prima clothespin, orange enamel dots, Hey Boy paper, DIY Shop adhesive paper (lining inside and back of card), and Ellen’s Essentials White Linen cardstock.
I love the distressed look of the green paper and all the textures involved from the woven linen of the stock and clothespin to the gloss of the arrow and dots. And then there are the colors! The yellows, oranges, and grass green against the white just make me so happy to look at! So fresh and so clean!
I sure hope Maria likes it and more importantly that she is feeling as springy as a new chick as she enters a new, fabulous decade!
Here’s a little supplies list for you before I check out for the evening; click on any image!